Saturday, November 21, 2015

The Painter's Daughter Book Review

24974122Title: The Painter's Daughter

Author: Julie Klassen

Genre: Christian, Historical Fiction, Romance, Regency England

Plot: Along the rocky coast was where Sophie first met the charming and very handsome Wesley Overtree, the man who captured her on canvas and captured her heart. And then left her without so much as a goodbye before she had the chance to tell him her secret. With her reputation hanging in the balance, her hope dissipating and time running out, Sophie makes a desperate decision and prays it was the right one.

Stephen Overtree is a captain in the army and is taking precious time off to search for his wayward older brother, off painting of all things instead of focusing on his duties as heir. Instead of finding his brother, Stephen finds a broken Sophie carrying Wesley's child and gives her a way out, saving her from ruin. Bringing her home to his parents creates a minor shock wave that soon lessens as they get used to sweet quiet Sophie. However, when Stephen leaves to rejoin his regiment, things rapidly fall apart with the arrival of Wesley. Finding  her world rapidly turning upset down, Sophie is plagued with a hard choice between brothers and must decide what best to do for herself and her baby before it's too late.

Likes/Dislikes: I've been wanting to read this book all summer and autumn especially after the high that was Lady Maybe in July. While I'm not a painter {the most I can do is blobs of color}, this was a unique setting and group of characters, making for a very lively fun story with intricate storylines and well developed characters. I automatically loved Stephen and hated Wesley, and felt sorry for Sophie but it was great to watch her grow and mature from an innocent naive girl to a woman who knew what she wanted. And the spiritual side of the story was beautifully woven in. Sometimes that is very hard to do in a book like this and it was accomplished beautifully. Sophie never did figure out who Jenny was though, which might've been a good thing but that's my only complaint. There was one very passionate kissing scene between a married couple and then a few suggestive scenes but nothing graphic. I quite enjoyed this book and can't wait to add it to my collection.

Rating: PG-17 and up, mainly for content mentioned above.

Date Review Written: November 9th, 2015


I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion. I wasn't required to write a positive review and the opinions expressed in the above review are my own.

No comments: