Saturday, November 28, 2015

A Year of Pies Book Review

13584657Title: A Year of Pies

Author: Ashley English

Genre: Nonfiction, Cookbook, Seasonal, Pies

Plot: I discovered this delicious book at a local library this past summer and checked it out again to prepare for Thanksgiving, even though I don't usually make the pies. Still, who could pass up the wonderful recipes contained in this slim attractive volume?

This beautifully laid out book is divided into five categories - the pre-baking stuff about equipment you're need and the standard pie crusts, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. Each seasonal section features the fruits and vegetables in season and which you then turn into delectable pies and tarts. Each recipe is accompanied by a lovely picture and very clear easy to follow instructions. Several recipes caught my eye and made me drool just thinking about them: a yummy rich Chocolate, Coffee and Orange Marmalade Tart begs to enjoyed with deep delight, a Buttered Rum Shoofly Pie would look stunning on a holiday table, the Minty Chocolate Cream Pie would go along nicely with a dab of whipped cream or ice cream, and the Cherry Vanilla Pot Pie might soon become my favorite pie I haven't yet made but am dying to do so. The unique thing about this cookbook is that there are also "dinner" pies; classic Chicken Pot Pie, a yummy sounding Spiced Meat Pie and several vegetable-based tarts that sound divine. I can't wait to dive in!

Likes/Dislikes: Every pie looks so good, even the guests recipes, that it really is hard to pick just one to try out. Luckily, my sister wasn't so baffled and tried the Brandy and Spiced Apple Hand Pies. Based on how fast my brothers devoured them, we can safely assume the recipe was a hit. I fully intend to purchase this cookbook {when I have money again} and make every single yummy sounding pie, starting with either the Spiced Meat Pie or the Cherry Vanilla Pot Pie. When I do, I'll post about it for you all.

Rating: G - all ages. Highly recommended!


Date Review Written: November 12th, 2015

No comments: