Author: Kimber Simpkins
Genre: Yoga, Physical
Fitness, Mental Health, Self-Help
Plot: In a world filled with
magazines, TV shows, books and movies featuring super skinny attractive women
and numerous products geared toward helping women achieved that longer for body
ideal, it can be very hard to love the body you're in. Diets that don't work,
exercise programs and schedules that leave you exhausted, and your own inner voice
cutting down your every effort are some of the obstacles in everyday life on
the road to the perfect body.
But in her new book, Ms. Simpkins tells us to get off the road to the
body we'll never achieve and learn to love the one we've got. With fifty-two
tips and tricks to get to know yourself, you'll learn to silence your inner
critic, have tea with your inner demon and discover your inner best friend who
is always there with an encouraging word and possibly some chocolate for a much
needed pick-me-up. Easy to read and laid out with a project for each week of
the year, this book could very well change your life.
Likes/Dislikes: I usually
don't read body books {except for all the pregnancy books I got form the
library}, but my husband has said I have insecurities about my body so I
thought it'd be fun to check out this book and prove him wrong. Just kidding; I
do have a few insecurities but thankfully, not as many as I thought. With a
catchy title and an appealing idea of things to try to love my body more, it
seemed like a good idea. While I did enjoy the journaling ideas and the nature
chapter especially, a lot of the stuff in this book really just isn't for me. I
thought the idea of inviting your inner demon to tea was creative but a little
weird and all the ritualistic ways of dealing with stuff {like rubbing your
back against a tree like a bear} were ever weirder. One of the quotes I really
enjoyed was, "We forget that our bodies are as natural as rain when we
spend more time with our devices than we do with tomatoes and moss and
birds." It's a very true thing to say and made me want to scoop up Baby
and go for a walk. But it was nighttime and she was asleep so we'll have to do
it another day. Also some of the simple yoga poses could be fun to try; maybe
they'll help with my back pain. I didn't like the three or four scattered swear
words however. That seemed unnecessary.
Rating: PG-16 and up, mainly
for content {swear words and frank body talk} and reading level.
Date Review Written: November
1st, 2015.
I received this book free from
NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion. I wasn't required to write a
positive review and the opinions expressed in the above review are my own.

No comments:
Post a Comment