Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Monday Blurbs ~ Sixth Edition.

Yes, yes, it's not Monday. I actually honestly forgot to post at all this weekend {not that I had a book review for Saturday mind you but I did have a nice Scripture passage I wanted to post; I'll have to do so next week}. So, I'm doing a little catch-up. *wink*




On Friday my family and I watched Shout. Made in 1991 and starring John Travolta, this movie was categorized as a musical. I was sorely disappointed however to find that it was just a movie about music, not an actually musical. The plotline of wayward boys in 1955 Texas was interesting {the boys' hairdos were distracting though *wink*} but the rock 'n roll side of things seemed unreal. My folks and I agreed that they really didn't dance or behave that way in the 1950s, sorry. It seemed more 1990s to us. And what was with the camera shots of the girls' skirts at the big "dance" scene at the end?! Not what I expected and not what I wanted my brothers to watch. As a side-note, I'm glad I never watched Grease or Grease 2 with my brothers.

On Saturday after a wonderful phone call with a good friend of mine, I watched Singing in the Rain. This classic comedy/romance/musical was made in 1952 and stars Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds. It's about two silent picture stars {one is Kelly, the other is a hilarious blond named Lina who has a very squeaky voice} who have a difficult transition from silent to talking pictures. With the help of his buddies Cosmo {O'Connor} and Kathy {Reynolds}, Don {that's Kelly ya know} perks up from the depths of despair and saves the movie he stars in and while working together on the set, Don falls in love with Kathy. This was a genuine musical and I loved some of the numbers {although that one at the end which is supposed to be a number in the movie they're making came across as random to me although I did enjoy most of it}, especially the one where Cosmo and Don are messing with the voice trainer. The girls' costumes were a little tough to watch though. Bleh. But overall a fine, wonderful movie I shall certainly watch again!




On Sunday, having missed the NASCAR race, my Dad watched Nick of Time. Made in 1995, this dramatic crime thriller stars Johnny Depp. Now, I didn't actually watch all of it with my Dad but what I did gather was that it's about a guy who has to kill the California governor Eleanor Grant within a certain time-frame or his six yr. old daughter would be killed by the bad guys. I looked it up on IMDb and that's basically what the general plot is. Depp spends about an hour and a half running around trying to figure out who he can trust and how to get himself, his daughter and the innocent governor out of harm's way. Pretty intense if you ask me. *wink*




And in the evening we watched Sherlock: The Great Game. In it, the 21st century detective is bored. So bored in fact that he's introduced shooting holes in Mrs. Hudson's wall, much to Watson's annoyance and confusion. When a bomb goes off, blowing in Holmes' windows, he's intrigued but not enough so to investigate. His brother Mycroft pops in with a case which Holmes flatly refuses. Things really pick up and get interesting when a mysterious someone sends Holmes a message: solve the puzzle or someone dies. The end, sadly and frustratingly, is a total and complete cliffhanger. Thus we must wait impatiently for season two to start in {hopefully} the spring.

And that, folks, sums up what my family and I watched over the weekend. Catch ya later!

No comments: