Title: Surprised by Love.Author: Julie Lessman.
Genre: Romance, Christian, Historical Fiction, Drama.
Plot: In the span of a year, Miss Megan McClare goes from cute, chubby, very shy bookworm to 1900s version of sexy with dyed hair, makeup, curves in new places, and the latest invention of contacts. Fairly knocking her family off their feet with her shockingly new appearance, Megan is finally confident enough to begin her life's adventure. But the one man she wants at her side is flabbergasted and bewildered by his sudden attraction to a girl he always thought of as a sister. But when his insistence on friendship begins to push her away and into the arms of another man, will Bram finally come to his senses before its too late?
Likes/Dislikes: The overall plot of this story is intriguing and I like the fact that it's set in the pre-war 1900s - right around Downton Abbey time. But the first hundred or so pages are very repetitive and boring while bordering on confusing. None of the supporting characters, such as family members, are described at all while the heroine's description is repeated so much {dyed henna hair, pretty eyes not framed by glasses and did I mention curves everywhere?!} that it gets old very fast. And while men can typically be pretty dramatic, the lengths at which these men go to to behave overly dramatic are annoying and could be called overkill. Then they just flip a switch and go back to being all hunky-dory and wanting to play chess or cribbage. What little historical information is scarce; it's more of a setting than any actual history being told. The best described characters are the coworkers at the law firm. This is a third book in a series, so I suppose the author expects the readers to already be aware of what everyone looks like, but it's my first of her books and I rather suspect it'll be the only for awhile. It's just not for me. I haven't even been able to fully finish this one. I did really like the characters' strong faith.
Rating: PG-16 and up, mainly for reading level and content {there is talk of prostitution in a mild manner and drama over taking down the brothels and gaming houses, etc.}.
Date Review Written: November 14th, 2014.
I received this book free from the publishers in exchange for an honest review. I wasn't required to write a positive review and the opinions expressed in the above review are my own.
No comments:
Post a Comment