Friday, March 21, 2014

The Croods Movie Review

Title: The Croods.

Starring: Nicolas Cage {Grug Crood}, Emma Stone {Eep Crood}, Ryan Reynolds {Guy}, Catherine Keener {Ugga Crood}, Clark Duke {Thunk Crood}, and Cloris Leachman {Gran}.

Release Date: To Theaters: March 22, 2013. To DVD: October 1, 2013.

Genre: Animation, Comedy, Action/Adventure, Fantasy, End-of-the-World.

Plot: As a prehistoric caveman, Grug Crood has his hands full trying to protect his family from all the potential dangers lurking just outside their cave door. His eldest daughter, Eep, provides him with the most headaches. Her adventurous sense of curiosity is undaunted by the dangers surrounding her. When she sneaks out one night, lured by the mysterious glow of a fire, Eep meets Guy - a much more advanced and handsome young caveman. He tells her the world is ending {the continental drift} and invites her to come along with him to the mountains. When she says no, he gives her a shell and tells her to call him if she gets into trouble.

Later, when an earthquake destroys their cave right after an argument involving Eep's news of having met a guy, Grug reluctantly sets out on a cross-country trek toward the mountains. With Guy now a captive, tension in the family begins to boil as Grug watches his daughter become fascinated with the young man's ideas and the shift in her loyalties troubles him. But with danger following them and unknown perils ahead, Grug has no choice but to accept Guy's help. Or they'll all die.

Likes/Dislikes: I must admit that I didn't like how animistic the cavemen are portrayed as; cavemen didn't exist, but ancient people did and I'm pretty sure they didn't look or act like that. And Eep's skirt was so short, you could see up it at times. On the other hand, this movie was hilarious! My husband and I were laughing out loud as we watched the character's antics. The slap-stick, rather painful humor tickled me pink. I could really relate to both Grug in wanting to protect his family, and Eep in wanting something more than the boundaries set upon her. Nicolas Cage did very well with the vocal acting, in my opinion. And I loved the giant cute pussycat! The owl-cat was also very creative and highly amusing.

Rating: Official Rating: PG. My Rating: PG - mainly for rather painful humor of people getting hurt and running into things. I wouldn't let a five yr. old watch this, but maybe an eight yr. old.

Date Report Written: March 12th, 2014.

No comments: