Saturday, December 24, 2016

The Innkeeper at Ivy Hill Book Review

28561667
Title: The Innkeeper at Ivy Hill

Author: Julie Klassen

Genre: Christian, Historical Fiction, Romance, Community, Drama,

Plot: The young widow Jane Bell spends her days in a solitary haze, overlooking her inn with mild interest, still wondering why her husband left it to her in the first place. She was born a gentlewoman and doesn't feel cut out for the hard work of landlady. She's nothing like her fierce mother-in-law Thora, whose unexpected arrival coincides with the announcement of bad news from the banker.

Now Jane and Thora must work through their differences and combine their strengths to save their beloved inn in three months or watch it - and their futures - crumble under the weight of secrets and debt.

Likes/dislikes: a wonderful book and an excellent start to a series, though I was a bit distracted by trying to figure out which minor characters will show up in following books. I really hope we learn more about Gabriel, he was intriguing, and Rachel seemed very interesting. All of the cleaning done by the characters was very inspiring and I felt so sorry for Jane when we learned the heartbreaking extent of her losses. Overall a great book.

Rating: PG-16 and up mainly for reading level and content (one bloody miscarriage scene and some suggestions but nothing graphic)

Date Review Written: Dec 23rd 2016

I received a copy of this book courtesy of the publishers. I wasn't required a write a positive review and the opinions expressed in the above review are my own.

No comments: