Saturday, June 14, 2014

Lady of Milkweed Manor Book Review.

2043100Title: Lady of Milkweed Manor.

Author: Julie Klassen.

Genre: Christian, Historical Fiction, Regency England, Romance, Tragedy.

Plot: When a woman in Regency England falls from grace, it's not pretty. It's even worse when that woman is the daughter of a clergyman. However, Charlotte Lamb's family never wanted her anyway - especially now that her mother is gone. With her bags packed and her heart broken, Charlotte leaves to hide away in a manor in London to heal, have her baby and pick up the pieces of her broken heart in peace.

Or so she assumes. Her attending physician is none other than a former suitor from long ago. With his own problems to take care of, Daniel Taylor seems likes the last person to help Charlotte. But help her he does, to the best of his ability. However, their friendship and peace is about to be severely tested with the distraught father of the baby comes calling.

Likes/Dislikes: I really wanted to finish this book. I wanted to like it so much, and I did love how it was written with lots of twists and turns. But I can't finish it - not right now. I had my own sweet baby and the emotional pain of watching poor Charlotte give up hers to the nasty father is too unbearable right now. And, from having read spoilers, it apparently gets worse before it gets better. I also didn't like the scene where the baby is made, though it was a lot less traumatic than the my imaginative brain came up with. I loved the insight into wet nurses and unplanned pregnancies back then, and the opening chapter quotes are something I enjoy about this author. Maybe I'll try to finish this book in the future.

Rating: PG-16 and up, for reading level and content.

Date Report Written: May 27th, 2014.

No comments: