"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." ~ Philippians 4:8 {KJV}
Saturday, February 19, 2011
Flight of Shadows Book Review.
Title: Flight of Shadows.
Author: Sigmund Brouwer.
Gene: Futuristic, Sci-Fi Thriller, Action/Adventure.
Plot: In this sequel to Broken Angel by the same author {didn't read it}, Caitlyn Brown has managed to go nearly two months since escaping her former life but when she's suddenly threatened by her not-very-bright-or-gentlemanly boss, Caitlyn plunges back into a situation she thought she'd left behind. Tracked by a ruthless bounty hunter and the authorities, Caitlyn teams up with a shady illusionist who she doesn't fully trust named Razor; he in his turn puts all his skills to work to uncover the mystery of who Caitlyn is and why the government wants her found at all costs. The end takes them by surprise.
Likes/Dislikes: The plot, while interesting once or twice, is lame and so unbelievable that it's not even worth getting into, all of the characters save for Theo, Billy, and Pierce, have crude, disgusting minds and dirty thought-trains {especially the bounty hunter, it so would have been nice not to have had any part of the story told from his gross viewpoint!}, and the vocabulary of the book is almost worse than watching an R rated porn movie, even if it isn't graphic, it's still there and the reader's imagination can follow the hint. Granted, Theo was very funny, and Pierce and Billy were the most gentlemanly and honest characters but other than that this book wasn't worth reading. You'd think that a book about someone with wings and healing blood would be interesting but when it's written like this one is; it's destined for the fireplace. The cover of the book says it's set in an "all-too-plausible future," I disagree however because the future {to me} doesn't look like it'll decay into a Mad Max world any time soon. Still, if you'd like a sample of the book, here's a link to read the first chapter: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Flight-of-Shadows/Sigmund-Brouwer/e/9781400070336/?itm=1&USRI=flight+of+shadows#CHP
Rating: R, and it is not recommended at all.
Date Report Written: February 19, 2011.
This book was a review copy courtesy of WaterBrook Publications; I was not required to write a positive review.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I love Sigmund Brouwer's books, but I must admit that I've never read this particular book, nor the first one. I really enjoyed his Fuse of Armageddon with Hank Hanegraaff, however.
It would be a good book if one looked at it differently than I did: I really wanted to like the book but because of the vague descriptions scattered about, the lack of a really good character I could cheer on {other than Pierce who also had his unlikeable faults}, and the constant hints and talk about center inapproperiate things that relate to bedrooms, it really disgusted me personally and turned me off to it. And I've become very wary of books like that, even if they so much as have a girl with low cleveage running around in it. Too many bad experiences can change one's view of things. :)
That's true. Most of Sgimund Brouwer's books are for kids, and I tend to enjoy those ones. In contrast, Ted Dekker's book are "adult" and can sometimes be somewhat mature (Immanuel's Veins was a very heavy PG-13) but I find that the positive messages in his books outweigh the potentially negative subject matter inside of them. Maybe that's just me, though.
Huh, I wanted to read one of Ted Dekker's books, though I can't remember which one at the moment, even though I figured most of his books would be like Frank Peretti's books, which I'm not a big fan of. ;) If the positive message outweighs the negative content in a book that's one thing, but the positive has to be obvious and it has to grab the reader, either in a good gesture or description or {perferably} a good character. Otherwise people like me will get so distracted by the outweighing negative that they won't hardly take note of the book, especially when they're use to really good books like I am. ;)
Post a Comment