Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Excerpt: The Silent Governess.

That evening, Edward stood in the doorway, amused by the scene in the drawing room. The carpets had been rolled back and some dancing master's text lay open on the floor. Andrew stood on a straight-back chair, face-to-face with the governess, who stood on the floor before him, hands in his. Audrey stood beside Miss Keene, an impish grin on her face. At Miss Keene's instruction, Andrew lifted one hand high, but before Miss Keene could turn beneath it, Audrey reached up and tickled him under his arm. Andrew doubled over and giggled.

Miss Keene sighed. It was clearly not the first time this had occurred.

Edward could not resist. He crossed the room to them, bowed, and asked formally, "May I cut in?"

With a whoop of relief, Andrew jumped from the chair and - after a running start - slid several yards across the polished floor in his stocking feet.

Shaking his head, Edward returned his gaze to Miss Keene and found her dubiously eyeing his offered hand.

She said, "I was only trying to demonstrate the nine positions of the German and French waltz."

"So I saw. Shall we continue?"

"You need not . . . That is, I am sure my lord is much too busy to -"

"Not at all. It is for the children's benefit, is it not? Their education?"

She opened her mouth to protest further, but before she could, Audrey said, "Show us position four, cousin Edward. For neither Andrew nor I can master it."

Edward wondered if Audrey Howe fostered as many romantic fancies as did her stepmother. But he did not complain.

"You were doing fine, Audrey," Miss Keene said. "It was difficult without a proper partner. I am not very good at being the man."

Edward felt his brows rise.

"Please?" Audrey begged her governess.

Miss Keene sighed once more. "Very well. I shall be you, Audrey." She turned to Edward. "And you shall be the man."

He said dryly, "I can but try."

~ Excerpt from The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen.

No comments: