Saturday, February 27, 2010

In The Pages of a Book Poem.


-->
In the pages of a book
With just a look,
I can go anywhere
That I dare.

I have been to Rome
When Nero was on the throne,
I‘ve been to Sherwood
With Robin Hood.

I‘ve been in France
During a bloody dance,
I‘ve met Richard Lionheart
And Queen Elizabeth, struck by Cupid‘s dart.

I‘ve sailed with Sir Francis Drake
To San Francisco in his wake,
I‘ve come across the sea
When Pilgrims flee.

I met General Washington
When the war was won,
I‘ve discovered gold
And slept in the cold.

I have met talking beasts,
While attending great feasts,
I‘ve flown on spaceships,
And felt the sting of whips.


I’ve met Emma Woodhouse,
And Christopher Churchmouse,

I‘ve sailed up the Nile,

Studying Egypt the while.

I‘ve helped solve baffling crimes,
And have torn down pagan shrines,
I‘ve made many good friends,
Some whose tales have no ends.


I‘ve fallen in love
And flown high above,
I‘ve met heroes of old
And read letters in gold.

I‘ve been to worlds unknown
And walked on lands not owned,
I‘ve freed slaves

And gone down caves.

I‘ve been many people and things,
And met many people, creatures and things,
I‘ve been to the center of the earth,

And discovered much and nothing of worth.

All this and more
Without opening the front door,
I have done

And much experience I’ve won.


I can go anywhere
That I dare,

In the pages of a book

And all I have to do is look.

No comments: